Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Conditional type 0,1,2


Conditional type 0,1,2

www.sites.google.com/site/neworks2030 


1.      Zero conditional:

        When you heat ice, it melts/ if you heat ice, it melts

Form: When/ If + S +  verb in the present simple, S + verb in the present simple

Use: Zero conditional is used to express a fact or a general issue.

2.      Conditional type :“I”:

        If I have money, I will buy a car.

Form: if + S + Verb in the present simple, S + will + infinitive of the verb

Use: conditional type “I” is used to indicate that something is possible and also very likely to be fulfilled in the future.

3.      Conditional type: “II”:

        If I had money, I would/ could/ might buy a car.

Form: If + S + Verb in the past simple, S + would/ could/ might ….+ infinitive of the verb

Use: conditional type “II” is used to indicate that something is possible, but very unlikely to be fulfilled at present time.

4.      The difference between “when” and “if” in conditional sentences:

“If” is used for something that, according to the speaker might happen (he is not sure).

e.g: we can spend the afternoon on the beach if the weather is fine.

 “When” is used for something that, according to the speaker, will happen (he is sure).

e.g: I will clean up the kitchen right away when I’m back from work.

EXERCISES 

No comments:

Post a Comment